As I’m going through the statistics module and documenting it, one thing that occurs to me is for the case where STATS_NAME_ENABLE = 0, and statistic names are omitted, we should create the statistic name -> number mapping, in the target’s directory, in a machine parseable format (i.e. JSON.) I’m thinking we should put this into the manifest.json when we create an image, that way if a management system wants to ingest this data, it can easily take this information, along with the created image.

I thought about versioning the structure, however decided against it, because:

- Manually updating the statistics version when it changes is error prone, because people forget to change version numbers

- I think it is likely that any management system or user who wants to interpret these values, will likely have the image definition for that image, _AND_ will probably not do an exhaustive search of all images, to find one that has a matching definition of version of statistics that are found on that device. (likely:)

Comments welcome. Below is the documentation I’ve written at the top of the module.

NOTE: Newt does not yet support generating statistics mappings in the manifest.json, I’m adding that support to create-image now.

Best,

Sterling

/**
* Declare an example statistics section, which is fittingly, the number * statistics registered in the system. There are two, largely duplicated,
 * statistics sections in order to provide the optional ability to
 * name statistics.
 *
* STATS_SECT_START/END actually declare the statistics structure definition, * STATS_SECT_DECL() creates the structure declaration so you can declare * these statistics as a global structure, and STATS_NAME_START/END are how
 * you name the statistics themselves.
 *
* Statistics entries can be declared as any of the following values, however, * all statistics in a given structure must be of the same size, and they are
 * all unsigned.
 *
 * - STATS_SECT_ENTRY(): default statistic entry, 32-bits.  This
 *   is the good stuff. Two factors to consider:
* - With 16-bit numbers, rollovers happen, frequently. Whether its * testing a pathological condition, or just a long time since you've * collected a statistic: it really sucks to not have a crucial piece
 *       of information.
* - 64-bit numbers are wonderful things. However, the gods did not see * fit to bless us with unlimited memory. 64-bit statistics are useful * when you want to store non-statistics in a statistics entry (i.e. time),
 *       because its convenient...
 *
* - STATS_SECT_ENTRY16(): 16-bits. Smaller statistics if you need to fit into
 *   specific RAM or code size numbers.
 *
 * - STATS_SECT_ENTRY32(): 32-bits, if you want to force it.
 *
 * - STATS_SECT_ENTRY64(): 64-bits.  Useful for storing chunks of data.
 *
* Following the statics entry declaration is the statistic names declaration. * This is compiled out when STATS_NAME_ENABLE is set to 0. This declaration
 * is const, and therefore can be located in .text, not .data.
 *
* In cases where the system configuration variable STATS_NAME_ENABLE is set * to 1, the statistics names are stored and returned to both the console * and management APIs. Whereas, when STATS_NAME_ENABLE = 0, these statistics * are numbered, s0, s1, etc. The newt tool will create a list of statistic #
 * -> statistic name in the
 *  bin/targets/<your-target>/app/apps/<your-app>/manifest.json file.
* That way, in cases where you want to save on code size, you can store the * manifest file for the image you've generated, and management tools will
 * be able to display the named statistic from the map.
 */
STATS_SECT_START(stats)
    STATS_SECT_ENTRY(num_registered)
STATS_SECT_END