On Thu, Oct 06, 2016 at 02:00:25AM +0200, Kevin Townsend wrote:
> I remember some discussions previously about unsolicited notifies
> and whether this was or wasn't supported in the BLE spec

My reading of the spec suggests that it is not legal. Referring to
Client Characteristic Configuration on PDF page 2228 of Core v4.2 (Vol.
3 Part G Sec 3.3.3.3):

> The Client Characteristic Configuration descriptor value shall be set
> to the default value at each connection with non-bonded devices.

Later in the same section:

> The default value for the Client Characteristic Configuration
> descriptor value shall be 0x0000.

This suggests that the value for notifications will be 0. A value of 1
signifies "the Characteristic Value shall be notified". It's safe to
assume that a value of 0 therefore means that the value shall not be
notified.