On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 09:16:00AM -0400, David G. Simmons wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> I'm a bit of a security wonk about some things, so I watch what my machine is
> doing -- network wise -- pretty carefully. This morning, I was doing a
> brand-new newt install and came across something odd.
>
> For some reason, newt tries to make a connection to andyshora.com
> <http://andyshora.com/> on port 443.
> andyshora.com -> 151.101.32.133
>    Server Name: ETHEREUMCLASIC.COM
>    IP Address: 151.101.32.133
>    Registrar: GOOGLE INC.
>    Whois Server: whois.google.com
>    Referral URL: http://domains.google.com
>

> Why on earth would Newt be attempting this connection? If I deny the
> connection request, newt fails.

I don't see that same behavior.  While running tcpdump, I executed the
following commands (latest develop branch of newt):

    newt new myproj3
    cd myproj3
    newt install

The only peer I see newt connecting to is github (a variety of IP
addresses).

Which branch of newt are you using?  Also, out of curiosity, how did you
determine that it is newt that tries to connect to that domain?

Thanks,