On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 03:49:51PM -0400, David G. Simmons wrote:
> Thanks Chris,
>
> I'm using develop as I'm working on updating all the docs for the
> 1.0Beta release, and it's rough going in places. :-)
>
> I've taken your suggestions and erased the NRF52 device using J-Link
> and that was successful.
>
> I've made sure that the repos are on the develop branch
>
> DSimmons-Pro:apache-mynewt-core dsimmons$ git branch
> * develop
>   master
>
> I have targets all set:
> DSimmons-Pro:nrf52dk dsimmons$ newt target show
> targets/blink_nordic
>     app=apps/blinky
>     bsp=@apache-mynewt-core/hw/bsp/nrf52dk
>     build_profile=debug
> targets/my_blinky_sim
>     app=apps/blinky
>     bsp=@apache-mynewt-core/hw/bsp/native
>     build_profile=debug
> targets/myble
>     app=@apache-mynewt-core/apps/bletiny
>     bsp=@apache-mynewt-core/hw/bsp/nrf52dk
>     build_profile=optimized
>     cflags=-DSTATS_NAME_ENABLE
> targets/nrf52_boot
>     app=@apache-mynewt-core/apps/boot
>     bsp=@apache-mynewt-core/hw/bsp/nrf52dk
>     build_profile=optimized
>
> And they look correct (to me)
>
> newt build nrf52_boot
> Building target targets/nrf52_boot
> Error: Compiler package not specified by BSP
>
> So, the earlier errors were no doubt caused by something else, and
> something NOT in the develop branch. That being said, there's clearly
> a new step involved in setting the "compiler package" that I'm not
> aware of.

Recently, many BSP settings were moved out of the BSP's pkg.yml file and
into a new file: bsp.yml.  Among these settings is the compiler package
that should be used to build projects for the BSP.

Is it possible that you don't have the latest newt tool?  An older
version won't know to look for the bsp.yml file, so it won't find the
compiler reference.  Similarly, if you have a new newt tool but an older
core repo, the newt tool will be looking for a bsp.yml file that doesn't
exist.

Let me know if these don't sound like reasonable possiblities and I'll
dig deeper!