Hi Justin,

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 02:20:38PM +1100, Justin Mclean wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry but I just voted -1 on that release as it has a number of IMO
> significant issues. Given teh great work done on LICENSE/NOTICE
> initially  I had assumed these were being kept upto date but that
> doesn’t seem to be the case.
>
> Apologies for not catching these issues sooner but with ApacheCon and
> holidays I’ve not had as much time to spend on my mentor/incubator
> roles.

No need to apologize.  I appreciate all the work you've done to keep us
in line :).  I'm sure the rest of the Mynewt community shares that
sentiment.

For the rest of the dev list: Justin's fundings are captured in his
email here:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/b042d83e1985281e8dd8a040ebf1817ce71019c16c5951ca9be11aef@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E

Boiling it down, the referenced email identifies three problems:

    1. Out of date LICENSE files
    2. A bundled source file is not Apache compatible (LwIP; pppoe.c;
       four-clause BSD license)
    3. A few security items missing from the Mynewt export list
       (tinycrypt and polarSSL).

Item 1: this is the biggest issue.  There is not much to say here, other
than I somehow completely forgot to take care of this.  All of the new
third-party code was reviewed to ensure it can be included in an Apache
project, and exceptions for these libraries were added to the
.rat-excludes file, but the last critical step was not done.  I want to
apologize to everyone for missing this.  Because of this mistake, we
will need restart the release process, which means a new vote will be
called on the dev list.

Item 2: I wasn't actually aware that the four-clause BSD license is
incompatible with Apache projects.  In the general@ thread, Justin
referred to another thread discussing this particular license:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/557a49d678809e2c543ef465dc36b2bd02eb02fda3c484f204468e39@%3Clegal-discuss.apache.org%3E.
The legal stuff is way over my head, so I will take others' word that
this license is not acceptable.  I am not sure what the solution is for
Mynewt, but we may end up just removing this particular file from the
release.

Item 3: Cheking the security export list is missing from our release
process
(https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MYNEWT/Release+Process).
We'll need to add it.  For this release, I believe Aditi is looking into
adding the necessary items to the export list.

Once again, I am sorry to everyone for not being thorough enough with
this release.  When the next vote is called, it would be appreciated if
you could cast another vote.  The next release candidate will likely be
functionally identical to the first one, with the possible exception of
the removal of the pppoe.c file.  I will include details in the
upcoming vote email.

Finally, please don't hesitate to voice any questions or concerns.

Thanks,