I have this running. But it’s not great.

You need gdb 7.12.1 (you can get that with brew).
Codesign your gdb; https://sourceware.org/gdb/wiki/BuildingOnDarwin
<https://sourceware.org/gdb/wiki/BuildingOnDarwin>
And then I also had to make gdb owned by root with SUID bit set (Peter didn’t
need to, so your YMMV).
Add the following to your .gdbinit:
  set startup-with-shell off

And that should do it. It is not without it’s it’s woes. Every process I run
under gdb ends up being a zombie. It’s like the walking dead season 1
on my laptop. However, I can do ‘newt run’ with my targets.

Hope this helps,