On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 12:40:04PM -0800, will sanfilippo wrote:
> I am not sure I have any intelligent comments on this, but that has never
> stopped me from commenting in the past, so…

No worries.  Thanks for the feedback!

> I think a byte buffer interface is fine as long as you have helper functions
> to create that buffer. Having folks have to figure out how to create an
> advertisement without any helper functions would be a bad idea (imho).
>
> I am not sure I completely understand your example re:Tx Power Level. Would
> this field still get added by the host or would there be a helper function
> that a developer could call to add the Tx Power Level field to the
> advertisement?

The host wouldn't modify the advertising data at all.  If the
application wants to advertise the tx power level, it would need to
arrange for it to be written to the byte buffer.  If using the helper
function, the application would write the correct value to the
tx_pwr_lvl field in the ble_hs_adv_fields struct before converting the
struct to a byte array.  The application would either "just know" the
correct value, or it would query the host prior to building the
advertising data buffer.