Hi Alan,

On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 12:21:15AM +0000, Alan Graves wrote:
> Well my conclusion is that the HCI mode is frustrating at best to use on the
> BlueZ stack!
>
> In my initial attempts to talk to the controller I use this command:
> $ sudo btmgmt --index 1
> [sudo] password for alan:
> [hci1]#
>
> First thing I noticed is that the MyNewt HCI mode tutorial says to set the
> static address:
> [hci1]# static-addr cc:00:00:00:00:00
> Set static address failed with status 0x0b (Rejected)

I believe you can only configure an address while the controller is
"powered off" (scare quotes because the board doesn't actually have to
be powered off, BlueZ just has to consider it to be in the powered off
state).  Try the following from btmgmt:

    power off
    static-addr cc:00:00:00:00:00
    power on

> This doesn't work on my system. I'm not sure what the problem is, but
> perhaps the initial BT addr 00:00:00:00:00:00 is a clue?

The all-zero address indicates that your controller is not configured
with a public address.  With no public address and no random address
you are pretty restricted in what you can do.

Hopefully this resolves some of the issues you're seeing.  I'm afraid my
knowledge of BlueZ is pretty poor, so I can't say if there is any issue
with the C program