Hi Simon,

On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 01:31:39PM -0800, Simon Ratner wrote:
> Hi devs,
>
> I have a package that requires a custom build step (generating intermediate
> files). Any recommendations on how to best handle this?
>
> Currently I am doing the custom step from my top-level makefile, before
> invoking `newt build`, but that doesn't seem ideal.

I don't think there is currently any better way than what you are
currently doing (generating the files via make).  This is definitely
something that is missing from newt.

It might take some thought to get something like this right.  For now
I'll just throw an idea out there:

Two new settings in the target.yml file:
    o target.pre_run
    o target.post_run

Each specifies a sequence of executable pathnames.  The pre_run commands
get executed before newt builds anything; the post_run commands are
exected after everything gets built.  If any executable fails, the build
fails.