Jacob:

I think we might be talking past each other here. I do understand that the code
is auto-erasing on upload. Let’s face it: if you want to upload a new image you
are gonna have to erase the one that is there. Sure, there may be a case where
it is not there or is already the one you want, but that is not going to be the
norm.

So to be a bit more concise, here is what I think would have to be done:

1) Add a command to erase the unused image (the image that is not running).
2) Modify the code such that it only erases the flash if it is not already
erased.

The application would then have to deal with reconnecting after any disconnects.