Hello All (including the [EMAIL PROTECTED] lang groups):

Yesterday saw BrOffice's 3rd magnificent cross-country, cross- continent, cross-city event. [0] Enormously ambitious, the event stitched together cities and people scattered across tens of thousands of kilometres to present on OpenOffice.org, its technology and place in history. My own small part had came late in the day and I presented on OOo's importance as heralding a new (and better) way of doing things in this age of economic disorientation and terrifying uncertainty.

My thanks to Claudio, Olivier, the BrOffice community, and to the technological geniuses who were able to organize the event!

I am actually in Copenhagen, for Open Source Days [1] (but one reason though not the only--geography is the main one--I was not at the NLC event yesterday), and presented via remote hookup. As I adumbrated, I touched on OOo's place in Foss and asserted that OOo uniquely occupies a place on the desktop and in the future that is enabling a better kind of relation not just to their work, which they can own now, but to the tools that make that work possible. The simplest way of thinking of it is that OOo forever changes the static identities of consumer and producer. This is nothing new--all of Foss can claim that. But most Foss is hidden and not on the desktop or seen only as a geek sort of think. Not so OOo, and as the event yesterday in Brazil showed, *especially* not so OpenOffice.org!

Gustavo Pacheco has updated our Deployments page with current OOo deployments he knows about in Brazil. [2] Check it out, and add those that you know about. We use this page a lot, as it gives other public and private enterprises a context for their own adoption of OpenOffice.org.

-louis

[0] http://encontro.broffice.org/2008/en/node/2
[1] http://www.opensourcedays.org/2008/
[2] http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Major_OpenOffice.org_Deployments