Lief,
As I wrote today--and I'll probably see you later on--there was an event in Brazil and Portugal yesterday in which it was mentioned that millions of schoolchildren are getting OOo on Linux boxen. The governments of Brazil, Portugal and also Venezuela are rolling out these boxes, which are inexpensive Intel devices, by the millions; they are made in Portugal.

Then there is Spain, and not just Extremadura, which has deployed OOo throughout, but especially to schools. And, outside of Latin America, there is South Africa, which is also moving hugely to OOo (like, all) and Malaysia, Vietnam, and sections of Brussels.

Indeed, there is a huge movement throughout the world to use OpenOffice.org. 3.0 has made a big difference but these decisions were made prior to the Betas and RCs. Rather the decision has to do with the fact that governments rightly recognize that in order to introduce students to the modern, 21st century world of knowledge technology and commerce, they need something that is not encumbered by cost, license, monopoly but which is free and freeing.

ciao
louis

See our Major Deployments Page:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Major_OpenOffice.org_Deployments

On 2008-10-01, at 19:16 , Leif Lodahl wrote:

Based on a question from one of the large Danish Municipals, I would like to ask you how OpenOffice.org is used in primary schools in your region.

The question comes after an article in the Danish computer magazine Computerworld.dk today: http://www.computerworld.dk/art/48201 with the header: Swedish municipals moves to OpenOffice (...in schools) Here is an english translation: http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.computerworld.dk%2Fart%2F48201&hl=da&ie=UTF-8&sl=da&tl=en

1) To what extent do the public schools use OpenOffice.org?
2) Is OpenOffice.org the only office suite or can the teachers and pupils make a choice? 3) Is the use of OpenOffice.org based on some kind of collaboration between the municipals or is the decision made individually?

In case OpenOffice.org is *not* used, is this caused by aggressive marketing and price dumping from Microsoft ?

In Denmark, I can tell you, the interest is increasing enormously these days. I'm in contact with almost all the Danish municipals about OpenOffice.org (and other F/OSS applications) in primary schools.

--
Med venlig hilsen - best regards,

Leif Lodahl
Native-Language coordinator DA.OpenOffice.org
Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Blog: http://lodahl.blogspot.com/