Today, on short notice, several of us held a brief (~1 hour) meeting on regional groups. These groups dedicated to promoting OOo without bounded by language or specific marketing claims. The idea is to do things that are effective, to collect donations that enable them, and to build community where people are.

The attendees included:

Khirano
Louis
André S.
Sophie
Claudio Filho
Olivier Hallot
Raphael Bircher

There was no particularly compelling reason to limit this first meeting to those above; it just happened that way. I did want to include Andre, Sophie, Claudio and Olivier and Raphael, as well as Khirano, b/c of their experiences. My interest was to start things generally by finding out what works. We can formalize more meetings later, and invite more. Indeed, I hope that is what happens. It was my terrible oversight that I neglected to include Charles in this meeting--I thought I had--but I hope that subsequent meetings will more than compensate :-)

I'm posting the log of the meeting. The next one is in two weeks, same time, 13:00 UTC.

The key points:

* have frequent small, local meetings over beer, local food: to meet and greet and get to know people * have larger, more important meetings, eg, Regional OOoCons, less often, and arrange them so that travel is not a fatal encumbrance * set up an NGO when it makes sense but attend to the problems all face of having to manage the funds and do the actual work. Hint: it's not trivial.

We have (not I; others far better) set up a wiki for regional groups that I hope becomes a repository of wisdom, as well as, eventually, a means to track events, groups, people. Our goal is, after all, to make it easy to have fun with the OOo community :-)

The wiki is at:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Regional_Groups

At some point, it may make sense to set up a dedicated mail list and project, but for now, let's see if this one works. I am loathe to create new lists that seem useful but end up in fact fragmenting community. Better to have some noise than the clean sounds of silence.

Cheers
Louis