Von: Bertrand Delacretaz
Gesendet: giovedì 16 maggio 2019 13:11
An: dev
Betreff: When is an iCLA needed?

Hi,

Someone asked about this - in brief, from the ASF's point of view an
iCLA [1] is only required for committers, once they get elected. See
also [2] and [3].

Apart from that I fully agree with this quote from Sam Ruby from [4]:

> ...CLAs are encouraged for all significant contributions, where it is up
> to the project in question to determine significance.  It is entirely
> OK for different projects to have different criteria here.
>
> In all other cases, section 5 of the Apache License, Version 2.0 applies:
>
> http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html#contributions

So I think the NetBeans PMC should clarify the requirements for when
an iCLA is required or desired, and document them, at
http://netbeans.apache.org/participate/index.html probably.

-Bertrand

[1] https://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.pdf
[2] https://www.apache.org/dev/new-committers-guide.html