It is exactly this sort of confusion that makes it tougher for beginners to
get started.
I tried to help a beginner recently and I got confuse too :-)
If I remember correctly the old installer checked for an installation and
told you want to do if it didn't find one.
I think the current installer installed a jre (I think I noticed it go
past).
mikej