Hi,

On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 at 19:29, Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org> wrote:
> we already have conveniences, but maven artefacts and  installer are not part
> of the vote thread.

Neither, strictly, were the binary zip or nbms.  Although I know a few
people checked them because they were there already ...

> As installer and maven artefacts are using Apache Infra, better to have a
> vote until we can put all those conveniences in the same vote thread. (Snap
> package is a bit out of discussion as handled outside Apache).
>
> Not voting means we can put binaries/artefacts without control of PMC I find
> this path dangerous. (Maven publications is only a single button to press and
> once published, no undo)

I agree we have to monitor this somehow, although the actions of a PMC
member are hardly without control of the PMC.  Unfortunately, there's
a little history here in an off-list discussion re. installers with
Reema, Geertjan, myself, and a few others.  And a good lesson why
those conversations should happen here!

With regard to the installers, there are a few reasons why building
after the release vote might be preferable.  I suggested the sanity
check thread, rather than direct upload to dist/release, exactly
because of the issue you raised here - have at least 3 other PMC
members verify and +1 before binaries get distributed.  It's quicker
and less formal, but does mean that there's some extra oversight.
That involves at least 4 PMC members checking, which personally I find
oversight enough.

It also seems in line with the Apache release policy, which says -

"Note that the PMC is responsible for all artifacts in their
distribution directory, which is a subdirectory of
www.apache.org/dist/ ; and all artifacts placed in their directory
must be signed by a committer, preferably by a PMC member. It is also
necessary for the PMC to ensure that the source package is sufficient
to build any binary artifacts associated with the release."

Whichever way we go, we should document and formalise, because it's
likely to come up again.