On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 at 07:23, mike james <mike.ja...@infomaxgroup.co.uk> wrote:
> As to NetBeans - well it is the best of the current general purpose IDEs.
> Notice "general purpose". Visual Studio used to be good ...

Well, all tooling is terrible, just some are less terrible than others! ;-)

Reminds me that there's a great section about Visual Studio and a
conversation with Chris Granger in
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2017/09/saving-the-world-from-code/540393/

"""
He told me that while he was at Microsoft, he arranged an end-to-end
study of Visual Studio, the only one that had ever been done. For a
month and a half, he watched behind a one-way mirror as people wrote
code. “How do they use tools? How do they think?” he said. “How do
they sit at the computer, do they touch the mouse, do they not touch
the mouse? All these things that we have dogma around that we haven’t
actually tested empirically.”

The findings surprised him. “Visual Studio is one of the single
largest pieces of software in the world,” he said. “It’s over 55
million lines of code. And one of the things that I found out in this
study is more than 98 percent of it is completely irrelevant. All this
work had been put into this thing, but it missed the fundamental
problems that people faced. And the biggest one that I took away from
it was that basically people are playing computer inside their head.”
Programmers were like chess players trying to play with a blindfold
on—so much of their mental energy is spent just trying to picture
where the pieces are that there’s hardly any left over to think about
the game itself.
"""

There's a lot we could learn from about IDEs in general there and in
the wider article!