Hello NetBeans people,

if you have ever fine-tuned your NetBeans IDE with some community-contributed plugin or you are a plugin developer yourself, please read this e-mail carefully.

The last reason for netbeans.org domain existence is the NetBeans Plugin Portal - our repository of NetBeans extensions. Given the original infrastructure is no longer maintained by Oracle and in order to avoid potential legal issues with hosting 3rd party binaries licensed under Apache incompatible licenses we have decided for a complete rewrite of the Plugin Portal website.

Today, we are happy to announce the result of our effort, the brand new Plugin Portal version 3.0 [1] which is running on the same Apache infrastructure which already hosts Synergy - the tests management tool for NetCAT programs.

[1] http://netbeans-vm.apache.org/pluginportal/

The 3 most substantial changes if compared with Plugin Portal 2.0 are:

* Only plugins published in the Maven Central Repository can be registered in the Plugin Portal 3.0.
* Only NBM or JAR file types are supported binary formats.
* Google SSO is used as authentication mechanism.

The concept of community controlled publishing of plugins on the Plugin Portal Update Center remains unchanged i.e. if two verifiers approve a plugin and nobody disapproves it, the plugin gets automatically added to the module catalog for appropriate NetBeans version.

Sounds good so far? Cool! The purpose of this message though is to ask for cooperation. :) As you could have guessed we need to load the new Plugin Portal with meaningful plugins so if you have developed a NetBeans plugin, please publish it in the Maven Central and then share it with others through the new Plugin Portal. And obviously sending us any feedback on the registration process or Plugin Portal's new user interface in general will be much appreciated! Bugs should be created against "updatecenters - Pluginportal" component.

Finally, once the final polishing is made, we will open source the codebase so that everyone can participate in improving the website. And if you are curious, the credit for creating the new Plugin Portal goes to Jan Pirek (jpirek). Hats off to you, Jan!

Thanks and long live the Plugin Portal 3.0!

Best regards,
-Jirka