> ... shall we replace that with the new one,

 +1 for that. And -1 for that.;)

I really appreciate NB is moving forward and away from old approaches, but
I have some small concerns here (that's the -1 for)

> forcing those plugin authors from the previous one to move theirs there,

Imho there will not be that many plugins moved. Why?
- many plugins in the old update center seems to be not maintained anymore
- many plugin authors might not want to take the steps required now -
compared to the old portal, the new way is really difficult and requires a
lot of extra work
- many authors of plugins might not read the mailing list and so they may
not recognize these discussions
- many authors may also turned away from NB and just do not care anymore
about the plugins

So, there is a couple of question now:
What should happen with those plugins not moved over at all, but which are
maybe still useful?
Should authors of plugins (dedicated to old NB versions) also be forced to
move them and by that update them?
How can authors be forced? Do we know, how we can address them?

> and if someone wants to use the ones that are not moved, no problem, they
> can register the old one manually?

Really? I'm really into UX, and that proposal is a good example for an
"improvable" user experience. Just let me give a very simple example.
Just assume we have a "normal" user. Not one, that develops NB itself or
creates plugins. Such a user opens the plugin dialog and selects those
plugins one thinks they are useful. This user does not care whether there
is an option to add addtional plugin centers or not, one might not even
know about that possibility! And especially such a user will not crawl the
web to find additional urls for update centers.
Such users just want to install (or unzip), start the IDE, may set some
options and start working.

And now assume further, one migrates from NB 8.x to NB 11.2 (w/o using the
plugin copy option) and oooh suprise: there are no plugins available. What
will happen now? Either the user steps away from NB or the mailing lists
will be flooded talking about a bug with the plugins.

>From a perspective of *user experience*, it might be better to have the old
and the new urls built-in by default. That might cause additionall
implementation (I'm really not familiar with that code).

Greetz,
CP