On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 8:07 PM Eric Bresie <ebresie...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would think they might be value from the platform perspective to allow
> modules to interfaced with a little external from the platform as well as
> bringing in modules external to NB platform.

FWIW, there is this oldish prototype:
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/291

Where the intent was to allow NetBeans modules depend on JDK modules
(although not on JPMS/"Jigsaw" modules in general).

> Not to mention if it migrated towards a standard module mechanism it
> avoids YAMS (yet another module system)...although I acknowledge the NB
> historical module aspects (documentation, books, plugins, etc.) may still
> have value as well.

One of many things to note here is that the JPMS does not allow so called
"split packages". I.e. having two modules having package with the same name
(the precise definition is a bit more complex, but this simple one should
be more than enough in this case). And in NetBeans platforms, the two
lowest-level modules are openide.util.lookup and openide.util. And both
these have the org.openide.util package. So any attempt to convert NetBeans
modules to JPMS modules will necessarily need to solve this problem. (There
are some other cases like this, but these two modules are so basic, and yet
so difficult to change, that I've never really thought about any other
case.)

Jan