Hello World,

I recently installed Apache Netbeans on several Ubuntu Linux machines. In each
case, the IDE couldn't create or open projects and would stall at about 10%
progress.  As a long-time Netbeans user, this was perplexing - especially given
that I have a working Netbeans on one of them (the others were fresh installs).
From the IDE logs, I finally figured out that Netbeans didn't think that I had
a JDK installed.

In one case it was right. The Ubuntu distro installs the JRE by default, but
not the JDK - and neither the installer or the IDE itself prompts the user when
it can't find the JDK. It's happy to install from a JRE and silently fail
later.  In the other cases, I took the default without thinking during
installation.

It's a face-palm moment for me, but I'm no stranger to "operator error" moments
at the end of the day. To someone who may be trying out the Netbeans IDE and
makes the same mistake, it could make them walk away from Netbeans to another
IDE. A dialog box saying "Where's yer JDK?" would be useful.

I'm really enjoying Netbeans 12, by the way.  So far it hasn't given me any
grief and is fast and stable.

Regards,
Peter