Scott,

I am having the same problem, but it seems to be the JDK as I can reproduce
it on NB 12.4 & 12.5. I had recently updated my JDK to 11.0.12.1, x86_64:
"Amazon Corretto 11" which has the issue.
If I try to change the keyboard shortcut with 11.0.12.1, I cannot type
Control+SPACE. The SPACE keystroke never registers.

I downloaded 11.0.11, x86_64: "Zulu 11.48.21" and the problem went away.

Looking at the 11.0.12 bug fixes [1], it looks like JDK-8259585 [2] might
be the culprit.

[1] https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/javase/11-0-12-bugfixes.html

--Christian