I just wanted to say that I recently switched from VS Code’s semi-official java
plugin (which is practically unusable for large projects) to the Netbeans
VSCode plugin recently, and the NetBeans approach is already better in most
respects—thank you!

I’ve used used Netbeans since it’s inception—that’s over 20 years—and I truly
believe the language server/plugin approach is the future for Netbeans. Let
other people worry about the non-specific editor/IDE features like remote
development via an SSH tunnel (one of the the reasons I had to switch from
NetBeans), and focus on what you do best: development-specific features. This
is just my opinion, but it’s the opinion of someone who has been around for a
while and has seen the direction things are going.

I’m so sure of this, I’m willing to put my money where my mouth is (well, a
modest amount of money). I think the most glaring feature missing right now is
the ability format java files, and configure how they’re formatted. I know the
plumbing/code is probably already in there, because it’s used to order imports.
I’m offering a $250 USD bounty to anyone who gets a PR accepted that gets the
rest of this done. I’d expect that it would offer similar options to what is
currently in NetBeans proper.

Don’t have that much NetBeans development experience but still want to get in
on the action? Here’s an easy one: $75 to create a VS Code plugin that emulates
the NetBeans previous/next matching word functionality. That’s it! I miss that
feature a LOT.

Thanks for all the hard work,
Alvin

P.S. - is there a bounty board still active somewhere where I can post this?

--
Alvin Thompson