For the following (important in a multi screen setup, should read "don't use null")

   Dialog parent main window instead of null
   https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/4739

I want to move a method, private FileChooserBuilder.findDialogParent(), to a public spot. My first thought was DialogDisplayer, and there's also UI Utilites, https://bits.netbeans.org/dev/javadoc/org-openide-awt/overview-summary.html, which looked
promising, in it there's

   Package org.openide.awt
   A set of utility classes pertaining to the visual appearance of
   NetBeans.

but no place seems to fit.

Putting it in DialogDisplayer might make it easier to find (important). Curiously though, findDialogParent is used to roll your own dialog, like using JOptionPane rather than DialogDisplayer.notify/createDialog.

BTW, JOptionPane.show*(findDialogParent(), ...) works pretty good. In the tests I ran, the dialog shows up covering the button I clicked, hard to miss.

-ernie