On 13.10.22 01:42, John Neffenger wrote:
On 10/12/22 8:55 AM, Michael Bien wrote:
the NB repo has this enabled. PRs from non-committers would not trigger CI until someone approves the workflow run.

Just to clarify ...

I am not a committer -- I can't merge pull requests -- yet the GitHub Actions ran automatically. I am a minor contributor, though, having two commits in the history, so that must be what made it automatic.

yes but those run on your cloned repository, on your account and they are fully configurable via the clone's project settings and/or workflow file.

If you open a PR however, those actions run on the main 'apache/netbeans' repo while using apache resources. This is an important distinction for security reasons (and CI DDOS scenarios). For new contributors, those workflows need to be approved by a committer before they run.

When you clone a repo, gh won't have any actions enabled (I just checked to confirm that it is still the case). The action tab will show a confirmation/warning:

"Workflows aren’t being run on this forked repository"

... more text with explanation and risks ...

"I understand my workflows, go ahead and enable them"

Anything else would have surprised me, because imagine you just forked a repo which runs periodic builds on your company account :)

and as previously mentioned: you do not need actions to be enabled to contribute to NetBeans. PRs will run them before integration. (my clone doesn't have them enabled either, only when I want to debug the actions itself)

best regards,

michael

Thanks,
John