On 1/7/23 08:47, Matthias Bläsing wrote:
Hi,

Am Samstag, dem 07.01.2023 um 10:25 -0600 schrieb Eric Bresie:
That is a bigger philosophical/paradigm change here.  Are there any
longer term plans to migrate the Netbeans codebase build from ant to
something other (Maven or Gradle)?
I have to ask: What problem do you try to fix? Sure when the build is
converted to another build system the problems will magically go away.
Except they don't. Gradle has its own set of WTF elements, the same is
true for maven.

Well, I have a long term plan for that (doing a Gradle migration). This is not that easy. NetBeans build is an incredible peace of art. Replacing that with something else is hard, especially in the core platform. I had some wins, being able to compile the platform cluster with Gradle, though compiling is just one thing, and that's probably on the easier side.

It is still in my mind, I see benefits of that effort.

Though I have to admit, that what we have with Ant is good enough. Until someone really put the effort, and proves that it could be done, we shall not make a move.

There are three things missing before changes could be done:

- arguments why it is benefical to switch
- preparations to counter all possible "what ifs"
- someone who takes up the fight and does the work

What is IMHO not a solution is a half migration, creating a hybrid
build using ant and gradle/maven. This was done by liferay and IMHO it
is a failure (oh for fun they also did not use plain gradle, they
patched their chosen gradle version...).

Seriously: If you just want unittests, go with the existing solution.
If the pain is to high, add support for Junit 5, and if you want a
lifetime job, switch build systems.
+1 on that one.

Greetings

Matthias