On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 at 16:11, Michael Bien <mbie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We can manually group the changes a bit better in the final release
> notes - just like Laszlo did with the Editor category of NB 16. Since
> its often that multiple PRs when taken together would create a
> noteworthy change.

Agreed!  Although this is also how we (OK, mainly Geertjan! :-) )
highlight things on the download pages, blog posts, social media
posts, etc.

Compare eg. https://netbeans.apache.org/download/nb120/index.html and
https://netbeans.apache.org/download/nb16/

The former was definitely becoming burdensome, but the latter is
possibly not enough.

> FlatLAF update PR quietly introduces a new theme (highlight label worthy):
> https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/5298
> (some?) PHP 8.2 support - but the PRs are already nicely grouped in that
> category

Good list! :-)

> but tbh as someone who is often going around and labels PRs, I am
> already glad when they are labeled at all :)
> I am not really thinking about release notes at this point in the dev cycle.

Tell me about it!  That's kind of the issue, along with grouping,
where maybe the highlight label is not the right way to do this?