the setting has been now changed for our 'netbeans' repo.

It should not affect contributors with commit rights, what it should do is to ask for PR workflow approval for PRs opened by non-committers (not only for first-time committers). Everything else remains the same.

I don't think this requires a notice mail since most won't notice any change.

Infra considers to make this the default for all apache projects (see infra ticket linked in the quoted mail).

regards,
michael