On 06.02.23 18:27, Ernie Rael wrote:
Looking for clarification on some issues that arose in a side discussion in a PR.It comes down to this statement:

   So if I get this right, a pattern is to push several commits to a
   PR, then after approval, can squash locally (using mercurial in my
   case) and force push to the PR.

There were some comments about squash/merge and how github/git commands have issues going directly to main. I got confused because I missed the "to main" versus "to PR branch" distinction.

Here's my understanding: squashing and force pushing to a PR branch, in particular one that I opened, does not run into issues.

And from my perspective, as someone who never pushes to master, I can ignore issues relating to peculiarities around local squash and merge pushed directly to master.

right, this all has to happen in branches which are not integrated yet. Never force push to other public branches. Projects will usually have branch protection enabled to prevent that from happening.

An open question. If there's a PR with multiple commits and it's approved, and I then locally squashand force push to the PR branch. Does the "Compare" button associated with the forced push still show up and have a diff with no changes (assuming, of course, that there were no changes)?

right, it will show "no changes". Unless you pulled from master to update the branch for example. Then it will show (sometimes a lot of) changes even though it won't show the commits in the list since they are already in master (target branch).

But if all you did is to squash and force push, it won't show any changes since it is just a diff tool which compares two branches: the one before push and the one after.

-mbien

Of course, depending on the situation, there are times when multiple commits in a single PR are desirable (fix+refactoring is given as an example).

-ernie