On Tue, 4 Apr 2023 at 21:24, László Kishalmi <laszlo.kisha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Snap cannot depend on system packages. It may depend on other snaps as
> content packs, however that would only in a sandboxed environment. (We are
> not sandboxed at the moment).

Yes, I was wondering if classic confinement had a way to recommend
dependencies.  Not used Snap much.

Thinking about this, does the Snap use the launcher script directly or
have its own script in between?  eg. the DEB and RPM have something
like
https://github.com/apache/netbeans-nbpackage/blob/master/src/main/resources/org/apache/netbeans/nbpackage/deb/deb.launcher.template

We could think about checking for JDK (or netbeans return code) and
using notify-send if needed and available in these?  I guess we could
consider that in the launcher scripts too, but possibly easier in
package-specific wrappers.

> It would be possible to package a downloaded JDK along with the Snap or
> have one downloaded during the install phase. However then comes the
> question: which one?

Or if we wanted really complicated, we could use an API to allow choice?! :-)