Hi Tamas!

great to see you here.

On 18.04.23 10:57, Tamás Cservenák wrote:
Howdy,

just to chime in as a developer of maven-indexer:

1, Regarding server side processing we are shot in our foot, as index is
provided (is produced and hosted) by Sonatype, and we have no much impact,
nor is there any server side available. They just produce the GZIP files we
can download and munge as much as we like on them.
2. Am unsure about exact indexer use cases within NB, but indexer offers a
"remote client" for SMO as well (via HTTP to search web service),
https://github.com/apache/maven-indexer/tree/master/search-backend-smo
still, is less powerful than full indexing context (that one that is GB in
size), see tests

I didn't know that this existed. Awesome!

3. maven-indexer (the classic) could be combined with smo search: use
classic to index local repository while for remote use SMO client, etc.or
some sort of "overlay" could be possible as well...

I have a draft PR here which uses the web api directly for selected search queries:

https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/4971

will take a look at search-backend-smo - since this sounds like this would replace all the json parsing of that PR.

Regarding using web services: I do think they have potential for selective queries. But there will be features which likely won't work. For example editor hints which scan the pom for version upgrades. I got latencies between 200ms and 4s (!) per query (see PR for log). Right now hints can run those checks instantly, with a web service this could take minutes (assuming we don't get throttled).

NB does have a mechanism for returning partial results for queries (instantly) and optionally blocking for full results. The web API would never return anything instantly unless we would start to cache a search engine locally which probably wouldn't work that well.

best regards,

michael

In the end, I want to thank Michael Bien of NB, he made a great deal of
contributions to indexers so far. Finally, there is one related Michael PR
still waiting for me...
https://github.com/apache/maven-indexer/pull/302

Thanks