De : Neil C Smith <neilcsm...@apache.org>
Envoyé : mardi 4 juillet 2023 19:53
À : dev <dev@netbeans.apache.org>
Objet : [DISCUSS] Moving to NBPackage created installer for macOS from NB19?

Hi,

There are a bunch of issues that have been raised recently about our ASF macOS
packages, including -

https://github.com/apache/netbeans/issues/6052
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/issues/6104

Aside from the problems that at the moment only John can create and sign the
ASF installer (and I believe the machine he uses for this might be on its last
legs?!) we're seeing more and more issues with how it's working with Apple's
Gatekeeper.  Having the current build files in the main repo occasionally
causes issues, and I can't get them to work on my own M1 mac correctly.

The installer has scripts that are writing into the signed .app folder
- a cache pre-fill which doesn't actually work, and just seems to be writing an
error file, and I presume the JDK location into netbeans.conf?  That might be
some of the issue, as it is passing notarization.

I wrote macOS installer support for NBPackage a while back, which automates
everything including the Swift launcher build, and signs all relevant binaries,
including those in JARs.  We've been shipping community installers with JDK for
a while now.

I've built a test installer of NB18 without JDK (universal arch) that is linked
from https://github.com/apache/netbeans/issues/6052#issuecomment-1615801376
 It's signed by my Codelerity certificate for testing - if we switched we'd
obviously sign with ASF certificate.

I've also added a PR for NBPackage which adds support for building the Swift
launcher with multiple architectures -
https://github.com/apache/netbeans-nbpackage/pull/32

So, if we do continue to provide a macOS installer without JDK (given macOS
policies there are some good arguments for preferring a signed bundle with
runtime!), do we consider switching?

If we do switch, feedback and testing on the test installer and NBPackage
update would be appreciated.  I'd probably try and move another release of
NBPackage beforehand too.

Thoughts?

Bit of a long email, sorry, if you've read this far I owe you a beer sometime!
:-)