Can you invent your own MIME type for your file content (= is it some special - purpose JSON/XML) ? If so, then you could use (for XML) composed mime type text/javier-content+xml The editor pane will inherit everything registered for plain XML + you'll be able to register specific services for just the text/javier-content+xml

Similarly, you can invent application/javier-content+json for your JSON content.

-S.