## Motivation

Let me restate the [motivation](https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/
9592#issuecomment-5536255861) I have for creating requests like for https://
github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/9631 and similar PRs that I am going to 
propose this autumn.

### Being for Experts

NetBeans has a unique concept of handling projects. It is a completely 
different workflow than other IDEs are built around.  I like it because it is 
flexible. However it also complicates things - because it is flexible. 
Projects are stored in Git repositories these days. When opening such a 
project, it (almost all the time) makes sense to **open all the projects** in 
the Git repository. That's not a NetBeans philosophy. NetBeans allows one to 
_cherry pick and open only some of the projects_.

### Being Different

Such a flexibility makes NetBeans an IDE for experts. However it also comes 
with a cost. Not only implementation wise (IDE has to be ready for set of 
projects being "half open" which causes issues like https://github.com/apache/
netbeans/pull/9622), but also from a UX perspective. 

Every "expert" has different set of subprojects open and then the behavior of 
the IDE is different. Such a _"magical flexibility"_ makes the UX poor.

Other IDEs have a **concept of workspace**. When opening Apache Maven sources 
in a "workplace", then the IDEs just open all the nested projects in the 
Apache Maven Git repository.

### Simplify UI. Keep Flexibility.

I believe the time has come to straighten the NetBeans IDE position by 
adjusting to common UX while keeping the flexibility under neath. NetBeans 
already has a support for [groups of projects](https://cwiki.apache.org/
confluence/download/attachments/446071397/image-2026-8-18_8-37-16.png?
version=1&modificationDate=1787035037000&api=v2). Just the UX feels old 
fashioned and like a second class citizen. I'd like to improve the UX by using 
the same infrastructure to **mimic the concept of a "workspace"**. Ideally I'd 
like to rework the _File_ menu to offer [Open/Close Folder, Add to Workspace, 
Save Workspace as](https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/
446071397/image-2026-8-18_8-39-37.png?
version=1&modificationDate=1787035178000&api=v2) just like the pictured _File_ 
menu provides. 

### TL;DR

Experts _"in the know"_ can still _Open Project..._ one by one and _work only 
with a properly curated and selected subset_. However for clueless users 
working on an unfamiliar code base, I believe we have to lead the UX towards 
**open all the projects** at once.

That is the outline of my plan. Let's simplify the NetBeans UX while keeping 
its flexibility this autumn!

-jt


PS: The proof of concept PR: https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/9631 is 
unlikely to ever get merged, but it allows us to **add line comments** at 
appropriate pieces.

PPS: Cherry picked parts of that PoC PR may be proposed as their own PRs like: 
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/9650





---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]

For further information about the NetBeans mailing lists, visit:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Mailing+lists



Reply via email to