NetBeans is a huge scary code to most people including myself. Others just
don't feel or plain lack the skill/knowledge to help, or at least that's
what they feel.

Takes lots of time just to get used to the concepts, structure and
peculiarities of it.

As with many other open source tools I contribute to it comes down to need,
and effort needed.

If NetBeans was unique there would be more help since there were no other
options. But if your time is limited and not available or buggy on NetBeans
you just look around and there are other options.

Personally the open source project I got deeply evolved were unique in one
way or another or I created myself due to the same reason. That's why I
believe we don't see the other millions of users.