Hey,

Am Montag, den 30.10.2017, 13:58 +0100 schrieb Jaroslav Tulach:

> > I was wondering we could upgrade the “download task” in nbbuild to
> > automatically select binary versions for eclipse binaries, so, for
> > instance, our binaries-list could be something like:
> >
> > eclipse://4.7/org.eclipse.core.jobs
> >
> > And leave the responsibility of choosing (verifying) an appropriate
> > version of “org.eclipse.core.jobs” to the download task.
> >

> I was thinking about adding List<String> repositories; attribute into the
> download task and then configure it to list as many Maven repositories as
> possible. The download would then try them one by one as regular Maven
> does. Then default.xml or some other file would register all the Maven
> repositories we need for the build. This should solve our issues
> temporarily.

I think this idea is sound and it would be direction I would take. I
would not add complexity by adding a repository prefix.

> On the other hand during review of HTML/Java API I had to remove download
> from google Maven repository - it was seen as untrusted. I assume the same
> will be said about the eclipse repository.

I don't follow that argument. The trust basis is the SHA1 hash that is
checked at download time. At this point in time I consider SHA1 as a
save basis and thus I don't care if the binary comes from maven centra,
the eclipse repository or whatever.

There are reasons to limit the trusted repositories:

- reduce attack vectors
- improve download persformance

So I'd like to hear reasonable objections to this.

Greetings

Matthias