> The downside seems to be that the autoupdate code is really hairy and
> more complex than what I need initially.

True. But it is one of those modules where it - in my experience - pays off
to read the arch doc.
(
http://bits.netbeans.org/dev/javadoc/org-netbeans-modules-autoupdate-services/overview-summary.html
)

Also, JMeter seems to me like the type of application that would benefit
greatly from being build on top of the NetBeans Platform. In fact it is
kinda spot on! But that's another discussion.

Can't comment on the "wiseness" of your idea, although I fully understand
why. I'm guessing that you *may* be able to re-use the AutoUpdate Services
part, but the AutoUpdate UI is probably tied very much to the Platform.
Just a guess. I could be concerned that the time you'll spend on getting
AutoUpdate untangled from NB would be better used to by re-implementing
JMeter on top of NB Platform.