Hello Geertjan,

I realize that it would be in the interests of transparency if I were able
to fully discuss my concerns, particularly my legal concerns, with signing
the ASF ICLA in an individual capacity.  However, I am not a lawyer, and I
feel that it would be legally precarious for me to discuss in any way the
legal interpretation of the ICLA's terms and implications thereof.
Furthermore, respectfully, I cannot have a discussion with you regarding my
legal concerns because, as far as I know, you are not a licensed attorney,
or if so, you are not offering to serve in a representative capacity.

What I will say is that one of my personal rules is to avoid signing legal
agreements of any kind which are not necessary for me to sign.  Pull
Requests of mine have already been merged into Apache NetBeans'
repository.  In addition, I have contributed to other Apache projects (e.g.
Subversion and Commons) without needing to sign the ASF ICLA.  I see no
reason to sign it now, especially when I have quoted one of the original
Apache Software Foundation board members who has specifically written that
it is not necessary for an individual contributor to sign the ICLA, even if
the contribution is massive.  If this is no longer the case, I would like
to see the official policy change document from the ASF, as this might mean
that unfortunately, I would need to stop contributing patches to Apache
NetBeans.

I have written on PR #253
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/pull/253> that I would rather
stick with the application of Section 5 "Submission of Contributions" of
the Apache License, Version 2.0 for my contributions, licensing my
contributions to NetBeans according to the terms of the Apache License,
Version 2.0.

Daniel