Hi Neil,

Am Sonntag, den 22.04.2018, 12:10 +0000 schrieb Neil C Smith:
> On Sun, 22 Apr 2018, 09:35 Matthias Bläsing, <mblaes...@doppel-helix.eu>
> wrote:
> This sounds like something I would be interested in - is there
> > indication, that Oracle wants to switch away from GPLv2-CP to
> > something
> > easier distributable?
> >

> No, but that's kind of opposite to what I was thinking. And GPLv2-CPE is
> generally easy to distribute, except by us!
>
> I meant that we're allowed a JDK dependency because it's considered a
> platform dependency in Apache. But with a general move away from a system
> installed JDK and towards self-contained app bundles like this, we may find
> it harder to ship convenience binaries in future in ways that align with
> what people expect on each OS.

I see two options: Either we find a supplier, that ships Java with a
compatible license (yeah I doubt that, that even exists), or the apache
foundation revises its policy regarding GPLv2-CPE for this class of
redistribution.

And there is a third option: Create a secondary project outside the
apache foundation, that takes vanilla netbeans source, builds the IDE
and bundles it with the JRE and distributes the resulting binary.

The JDK can't be bundled in any case, as to my knowledge GPLv2 is
incompatible with the ALv2.

Greetings
Matthias