From: Peter Nabbefeld <peter.nabbef...@gmx.de>
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 3:44 AM
To: dev@netbeans.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: VC3 - JDK11 - gradle plugin

I don't use gradle, and I don't want to install it, so I can only ask:
Is there, by any chance, an existing or generated "module-info.java" file?

The stack trace seems to originate from a recursive call:

1. From Modules.completeModule to Modules.retrieveRequiresTransitive:
(NOTE: During initialization (inInitModules == true) completer is set to lambda
expression calling Modules.completeModule as Completer instance)

  for (RequiresDirective d : msym.requires) {
             d.module.complete();
             readable.add(d.module);
             Set<ModuleSymbol> s = retrieveRequiresTransitive(d.module);

2. Modules.retrieveRequiresTransitive calls ModuleSymbol.complete (see
for-loop).
Because of the initialization (see NOTE on [1]), ModuleSymbol.complete calls
Modules.completeModule again.

What I've not yet investigated is: what are the conditions to not enforce the
recursive behavior? It seems, in "usual" cases the recursion stops at some
point, while in Your case it doesn't.

IMHO, this seems to be a JDK problem (if there're cyclic dependencies, an error
should be logged and compilation should just stop), but I'm not a JDK expert.
OTOH, there seems to be a problem with Your dependencies, so You'd check Your
dependencies graph. As method "retrieveRequiresTransitive" is involved, please
check also if all dependencies are available at runtime.

Kind regards

Peter