On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 7:17 AM, Bryan Bende <bbe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Russell,
>
> I understand what you are getting at... I don't think the current
> processors we have are designed to handle this bulk load scenario.

That's what I'm gathering so far myself, having been poring over the history of
related processors in Jira. I'm surprised it hadn't come up as an
issue, but then
there's always a first time for everything.

> The series of processors you outlined in your original email would likely
> work, but I *think* it would suffer the same problem of producing a lot of
> FlowFiles because ConvertJSONToSQL will produce a FlowFile with one SQL
> statement for each entry of the JSON array. You would have to try this out
> to see if you are getting the performance you want with your data set.

Looks like that's what I'll need to do in the short term.

> PutSQL does have a configurable batch size that lets multiple inserts
> happen through a single database transaction.

That's good to know.

> I'm not that familiar with the "LOAD DATA INFILE" command, but I'm
> wondering if another option is to somehow use ExecuteStreamCommand to
> execute that statement based on the filename from an incoming FlowFile.
> Just thinking out loud about what else could be done.

I'm not sure where ExecuteStreamCommand would help in this case, since
that's DML in the statement above, in this case specific to mysql.

So, I'll have a go at working with the approach you've suggested, and if in the
meantime I discover - or write - a workaround, I'll post it in a follow-up. My
overarching concern, I should mention here, has been to provide our business
analysts with a template for doing Sqoop-like egress of data from processing
into endpoint storage, something they can reason about given their experiences
with Hadoop.

Thanks Bryan,
Russell