The current process is outlined in our release guide.  But the main idea is
that all who wish to participate in release validation do so from the RC.
Unit tests are of course run by the builds but we rely on people power to
verify system level testing and that is part of that testing folks should
do.  We obviously can't test all the things and environments and so on with
this model.  The more CI we can get established the better we can do.  But
we have much room for improvement in validating releases.