Github user mattyb149 commented on the pull request:

    https://github.com/apache/nifi/pull/180#issuecomment-173740429

    Yes this controller is using the Transport protocol. The explicit docs you
mention are logstash docs, not elasticsearch docs. The Elasticsearch Java
Client docs
(https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/client/java-api/current/index.html)
 make no mention that the HTTP APIs are more performant and recommended.

    Having said that, the updating of versions is indeed a concern, so perhaps
the NiFi processors should be able to use the HTTP APIs (in addition to or
instead of). At present the *-Http processors in NiFi should already enable
this type of interaction. I presumed (apparently incorrectly) that a native
transport would be faster, or else why have it?

    I appreciate your feedback, and will think on these points.

---
with INFRA.
---