Paresh,

Input/Output ports are allowed to be inside of Process Groups. These
facilitate data flow in between the Process Group and it's parent Process
Group. In the case of the root Process Group, it facilitates remote data
flows with other NiFi instances (or anything that can speak the
site-to-site protocol). This restriction is to keep a consistent model that
is most importantly clear to the end user.

There have been other discussions and feature proposals for creating
Function Groups (re-usable Process Group) [1] and Wormhole Connections
(like a symbolic link) [2]. These added features will help alleviate some
of the restrictions enforced the by Process Group model.

Matt

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Reference-able+Process+Groups
[2] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Wormhole+Connections