Richard,

In terms of capturing and recording these items about are things that make
the State Management [1] coming up in the 0.5.0 release for interfacing
with a StateManager to record these items in a framework provided
mechanism.  This would be the preferred approach moving forward.

Until state management, the way this has typically been accomplished is via
the DistributedMapCache [2].  You can evaluate the approach in components
such as ListHDFS or GetHBase in which both items are making use of a very
similar semantic as provided by State Management.

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/State+Management
[2]
http://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/components/org.apache.nifi.distributed.cache.server.map.DistributedMapCacheServer/index.html