Thanks for the reply, Mark.

NIFI-1577 isn't the cause because I don't think we were using any processor
that does ProcessSession.append().
NIFI-1527 mentions a problem that occurs when NiFi starts, and our NiFi had
been running for several days.

Setting aside the "Too many open files" cause for the moment.  Here's what
we saw when the NiFi JVM encountered Too many open files:

ERROR [Site-to-Site Worker Thread] o.a.nifi.remote.SocketRemoteSiteListener
Unable to communicate with remote instance due to
o.a.nifi.processor.exception.ProcessException:
o.a.nifi.processor.exception.FlowFileAccessException: Failed to import data
from org.apache.nifi.stream.io.MinimumLengthInputStream@1234 for
StandardFlowFileRecord[uuid=foo,claim=,offset=0,name=filename,size=0] due
to org.apache.nifi.processor.exception.FlowFileAccessException: Unable to
create ContentClaim due to java.io.FileNotFoundException:
content_repository/1/1-1 (Too many open files); closing connection

This NiFi instance was using a remote process group Input Port to accept
new files.  It appears after the exception that a flowfile exists in the
flowfile_repository but the ContentClaim doesn't get a chance to exist in
the content_repository.

-- Mike