Github user pvillard31 commented on the pull request:

    https://github.com/apache/nifi/pull/257#issuecomment-200748951

    @olegz I just rebased the PR.

    As @michalklempa mentioned, you can use online SNMP service provided by
snmpsim (http://snmpsim.sourceforge.net/public-snmp-simulator.html), otherwise
it depends of your OS. Personally, I tried the processor by requesting basic
SNMP data (such as uptime for example) on a CentOS machine with net-snmp agent
running with various configurations in SNMP v1, v2c and v3 (MD5/DES).

    As a side note, at this moment, the processor is expecting an OID in
numerical format. If I try the following command on my computer:

    `snmpwalk -v2c -c public demo.snmplabs.com IF-MIB::interfaces`

    I can get numerical OID by adding the option -On:

    `snmpwalk -v2c -c public demo.snmplabs.com IF-MIB::interfaces -On`

    This way I can see that IF-MIB::interfaces is equivalent to
.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1

    I will try to write something to help setting an environment. On a
Linux-like environment, a quick setup can be:
    yum install net-snmp net-snmp-utils
    service snmpd start

    It will allow access to basic SNMP information in v1 and v2c with 'public'
as community. For SNMP v3 setup, it is possible to add users using the command
net-snmp-create-v3-user.

    Hope it helps, if not, let me know ;)

---
with INFRA.