FWIW, I don't read the current draft as requiring that someone
strictly progress contributor -> committer -> PMC. I do read it as
stating that the evaluation of project activity should normally be
over some period of time for committers and a longer period of time
for PMC status (e.g. maybe we miss someone who's behaving like a
committer over a normal 3 month period, but we catch it at 6. At that
point they've been around as long as a PMC so we skip the committer
step).

Of course, I might be biased by the fact that I skipped directly to
PMC status. :)