Github user apiri commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/nifi/pull/398

    Hey @pvillard31,

    I did a review of this and it seems to work mostly well using Squid with
the following config:

    ```
    auth_param basic program
/usr/local/Cellar/squid/3.5.19/libexec/basic_ncsa_auth
/usr/local/etc/squid.passwords
    auth_param basic realm proxy
    acl authenticated proxy_auth REQUIRED
    http_access allow authenticated
    http_port 3128
    ```

    and created a proxy user via:
    ```
    htpasswd -c /usr/local/etc/squid.passwords testuser
    ```

    I read through some of your commentary on the ticket and was not able to
recreate the conditions you were seeing for HTTPS sites.  I tried a few, and
all seemed to work as anticipated.  I did, however, see the "Too many follow up
requests" when using wrong credentials (invalid username/password combination).

    In terms of handling this, I saw the folks on square/okhttp#2464
recommended using the `Response.priorResponse()` to track such issues in the
Authenticator.

    Let me know your thoughts on how to address that, but overall functions as
anticipated and code looks fine.

---
with INFRA.
---