My usual concern with sending github notifications off of dev@ is that
not as many folks watch lists that are defined as a dumping ground for
automated messages (like a commits@ or notifications@).

However, I usually think of github notifications like JIRA
notifications. AFAICT we already send all of the JIRA traffic to
commits@, so it makes sense for folks who want that level of detail on
project implementation to have a single place to go.

At the same time, it might be hard for a new person to realize all
these things are going to commits@. Maybe we could add a brief
description to our mailing list page[1] of when folks should look to
the different lists?

There's enough project activity now on jira/github/commits that I'd be
in favor of splitting out things that aren't actually commits to a
notifications@ (or issues@ or whatever).

Also, now that lists.apache is live, I think we should link to it as
the "user friendly" list UI rather than nabble[2]. Folks do need an
@apache email address to post through lists.apache, but I don't know
how much we value the "ease of posting" feature of nabble.

[1]: http://nifi.apache.org/mailing_lists.html
[2]: https://lists.apache.org/list.html?dev@nifi.apache.org